I start back at work a week from today. : ( And so I’ve been trying to think of quick and easy, yet nutritious food and snacks that I can prep in the evenings after the boys go to sleep. I am all about spending as much time as possible with my kiddos and also getting enough sleep myself. A tough enough task when you don’t also work full-time. But I am determined. Hopefully that, and some creativity, will make it happen. I know I was able to mostly manage it with my first son. But two kids is more than twice the work so we’ll see how I do with the two.
When we got back from our out of town trip last week I had two bananas that were on their last legs and needed to be used. Also, with the cooling temps I have been craving some fall flavors so I went on a search for a recipe that called for both. I ended up tweeking the recipe quite a bit to make it healthier and am very happy with the result.
Banana Pumpkin Muffins
Makes 21 muffins
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup Splenda
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup raisins, optional (I used craisins)
- 3/4 cup walnut pieces, optional (I omitted)
- Non-stick spray
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray two standard muffin pans with non-stick spray or line with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl (or mixer bowl) stir together the mashed banana, eggs, yogurt, pumpkin, honey, and Splenda.
- In another bowl combine flour, oatmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pie spice, and cinnamon. Stir this mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Fold in raisins/craisins & walnuts, if desired. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350F for 28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of muffins comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
The Skinny: 104 calories | 23g carbs | 1g fat | 3g pro
Source: Adapted from allrecipes.com