My parents are visiting this week. It’s their first time meeting B since he was born 5 weeks ago. One nice thing about them coming to visit (especially now) is that they’re usually more willing than my husband to try a new healthy recipe. The reason I say especially now is that since my Dad was in the hospital in February with chest pains, they have been getting healthy and fit themselves and have lost about 100 pounds between the two of them. I was showing my Dad the latest cookbook I purchased with loads of low-cal meals in it. His eyes were immediately drawn to the same recipe as mine, and since I had all the ingredients on hand (except one which I substituted) we made it for breakfast. Hungry Girl‘s original recipe is calls for the eggs to be served in a mug, but I’m more of a breakfast sandwich kinda girl so I served mine open-faced over a light, high-fiber English muffin for only 100 calories more.
Open-Faced Pizza! Pizza! Egg Sandwiches
Makes 1 serving
- 2 Tbsp jarred pasta sauce
- 1/8 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
- 1 wedge Laughing Cow Light Swiss cheese
- 6 slices turkey pepperoni, chopped
- 1/2 tsp reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated cheese
- 1 Thomas’ Light mult-grain English Muffin, toasted
- In a small bowl, combine pasta sauce and Italian seasoning. Mix well and set aside.
- Spray a large microwave-safe bowl with nonstick spray. Add egg substitute and cheese wedge, breaking the cheese wedge into small pieces as you add it. Microwave for 1 minute.
- Gently stir and microwave for another 30-45 seconds.
- Add sauce mix and pepperoni to the bowl. Mix well. Microwave for another 30 seconds, or until scramble is just set.
- Divide mixture over each side of the English muffin and Sprinkle with grated topping. Allow to cool slightly and then Enjoy.
The Skinny: 234 calories | 30g carbs | 4.25g fat | 22.5g pro
Source: Adapted from Hungry Girl’s 300 under 300 by Lisa Lillien